Five in Five
5 Days of 5 Favorite Clean Meals
Eating clean should not be boring, complicated or time consuming. I’ve put together my favorite clean meals and snacks that I go to for delicious, quick and nutritious ways to fuel the body. These are all easy eats made with simple, real foods. Each meal or snack is balanced within itself to give you the nutrients and protein you need to keep you full and energized.
Further, there are no set rules here. Each meal or snack can be eaten at any time or in place of a breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack. This is NOT a diet or a detox or a plan of restrictive eating. This is a compilation of the easy, delicious foods I regularly prepare when I want to focus on eating clean, whole foods. I also drink lots of water throughout the day and eliminate any additional sugars, additives or processed foods.
I hope you find some inspiration or ideas for your own meals and snacks.
* Aim for 3-4 oz protein/meal
*Breakfasts may include a cup of coffee or tea made with no artificial sweeteners or sugar
1. EZEKIEL TOAST - I do not eat a lot of breads and am not a sandwich person. However, this is the perfect answer when you want something warm, filling and quick.
One slice Ezekiel break, toasted. Slice 1/4 - 1/2 avocado and place on top of toast, and spread on top. *A great addition is to slice a boiled egg and place on top. The protein makes it the perfect combo.
2. FRUIT SMOOTHIE - This is my breakfast at least 4 times a week! My smoothie basically depends on what fresh fruits I have on hand. I also always have frozen fruits in a ziploc bag in the freezer ready to go.
Place 3-4 ice cubes at bottom of blender. Add in 1 scoop plant based protein powder. Top with 1/2 banana, 1/4 berries, other fruit is desired, 1 T chia seeds, 1 cup coconut milk.
(Other options are to include a handful of kale or spinach, low fat greek yogurt, 1 tsp flaxseed oil, 1 tsp grated fresh ginger, 1/2 - 1 tsp turmeric. Have fun here! Make them as you like them! The options are endless!)
3. GREENS, EGGS AND AVOCADO - This is one of my favorite go to meals. It is quick, easy and filling.
Sauté two eggs in a pan lightly sprayed with coconut oil. Toss in a handful of spinach or kale and sauté alongside the eggs until eggs and greens are cooked. Slice 1/4 of an avocado and serve alongside the eggs and greens.
4. OVERNIGHT OATS - These are so delicious and such a treat to have something waiting for you in the fridge on a busy morning!
1/3 cup rolled oats, 1/3 – 1/2 cup coconut milk [depending on how thick you like it], 1/3 cup plain, light Greek yogurt, 1/3 fruit of your choice, 1 T chia seeds
Stir everything together in a jar with a lid or bowl and cover the top. cover . Place in fridge overnight. In the morning, uncover, stir and enjoy.
5. FRUIT WITH GREEK YOGURT - This is another of those meals that is also a great snack. Make sure you check the label on your Greek Yogurt to get the most protein with the least amount of sugar.
Top 1 cup lowfat plain or vanilla Greek Yogurt with 1/4 cup or less fruit of your choice and 1 T chopped walnuts or unsalted sunflower seeds. Mix and Enjoy.
* Aim for approximately 4 oz protein with each meal.
* Include at least 8 oz or more of water.
1. KALE SALAD - Top salad with 1/4 cup grilled chicken, chopped or diced vegetables of your choice and 1 T chopped walnuts. Dress with balsamic vinegar, lemon and light drizzle of olive oil.
2. 1 1/2 Cup Vegetable Soup - if choosing a prepared or canned soup choose a low sodium variety. Check out Lentil Vegetable Soup
3. Spinach Salad - Top salad with mushrooms, 2 boiled and chopped eggs, 1 T roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds. Dress with balsamic vinegar and lemon.
4. 1 Cup My Favorite Chicken Salad - served on a bed of lettuce with tomato and avocado.
5. Hummus Lettuce Wrap - Spread 2 T hummus onto 1 whole wheat tortilla then top with lettuce and 1/4 avocado, sliced. Roll into a wrap. *A slice of good deli turkey is a great addition.
*Aim for approximately 4 oz protein with each meal.
* Include at least 8 oz water with your meal.
2. Eggs with Quinoa and Greens - 2 eggs prepared to your preference served with sautéed or roasted kale, spinach or other green vegetable, 1/2 cup cooked quinoa and a side salad with balsamic vinegar.
3. Bunless Burger - 4 oz grassed beef, turkey or veggie burger, served with lettuce, tomato and onion, green vegetable of your choice and 1 small baked sweet potato.
4. Wild Salmon - 4 oz baked or grilled wild salmon, served with sautéed spinach, roasted green vegetable (green beans, asparagus or broccoli) with small baked sweet or regular potato.
5. Bean Soup - Vegetable Bean or Black Bean soup, served with 1/4 diced avocado or 2 T shredded parmesan cheese, side salad with balsamic vinegar.
*Include 2-3 vegetable servings with each meal. Enjoy unlimited amounts of vegetables like these:
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Mixed Green Salad
Steamed/Sauteed Spinach or Kale
5 MORNING SNACKS
1. 1 Cup Green Smoothie
2. 2 T hummus with sliced veggies (cucumber, celery or red peppers)
3. Light Greek Yogurt with 1/4 cup fruit and 1 T nuts or seeds
4. 1 T pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds with steamed edamame
5. 1 Cup berries and 10 cashews or almonds
5 AFTERNOON SNACKS
1. 1 hard boiled egg with raw veggies
2. 2 T hummus with raw broccoli and/or celery
3. 1 medium pear or apple with 2 tsp nut butter
4. 1 medium orange with 1 T seeds
5. 1/2 cup light chicken salad or deli turkey with raw vegetables
KEEP IN TOUCH! I’d love to hear from you!
Find out more about me, my food and exercise philosophies, grab lots of healthy recipes, motivation, encouragement and stories on my site, www.MarlaDeenFit.com. I’m also available to help with meal plans, kitchen stocking, workout programs, phone or in person coaching.
Enjoy Your Day!